[OM] Re: For battery bods

Subject: [OM] Re: For battery bods
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 02:48:27 +1000 (EST)
Hi Jeff

> Very nice analogy.

Thanks :-)

Personally I dont like it, just off the top of my head, and I should
be asleep but with a bit of work it could be a good analogy :-)

> There is a difference that isn't too meaningful most of the time.
> Since the batteries are wired in serias, the same number of electrons
> pass through each battery. If one battery has more power than the
> other it can continue to force electrons through the other battery
> even after the other battery is completely drained. A camera is
> probably intelligent enough to shut down when the voltage drops too
> low (one battery is completely discharged). Some items, a flash light
> for instance, provide a current path until they are switched off. If
> you forget to turn it off you are probably guaranteed of destroying
> the weaker battery.

Very true, and its this electron flow which will also lead to reverse
polorisation of the weaker battery.

I dont have a batt symbol so I'll use a capacitor symbol instead, same
thing happens to capacitors just that its not something that can destroy
them as the charge is equalised with capacitors.

-  ----||-------||--------  +
|                           |
+-------load-------------+
    -------------->
(-)                        (+)

depending on which school you went to depends on which
way the electrons flow ;-)

Current flows from the negative terminal, through the load,
back into the positive terminal (left to right, now one battery
goes flat, the other still does its best to pump the current through
the circuit, what happens to the flat battery ?

it ends up looking like this in the circuit

(+)        (-)
 +---------+
 |          |
 =         =    Batterys
 |           |
 +--load-+
(-)         (+)

so current is being forced through the lesser cell, when
to charge it you would normally force the current through
in the opposite direction, you are in effect forcing the
battery to reverse its polarity, and operate in a mode it
wasnt designed for.

Wish I had a white board and could draw flow circles, would
make a lot more sense.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/

Keep the Space Station! Clinton will need a new home in '2000!