[OM] Re: Prints

Subject: [OM] Re: Prints
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 15:15:43 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> But most point and shoot digitals have the same 3:4 aspect ratio as the
> 4/3 system.  Many people have a very difficult time understanding aspect
> ratios.
Of course, "aspect" is hoity toity and "ratio" is math.  :-)   It may
not be the underlying issue that is hard to understand, but the language
that is obscuring meaning.
> They don't realize.........  Actually, any lab does a little bit of
> overprinting so even the 2:3 aspect ratio images are getting slightly cropped
> on all sides.

A little bit? This is a problem from long before digi days. And the
amount of image lost can be considerable. Also, what part is lost
varies, so you can't plan ahead. This image lost some relatively equally
on each side, but almost nothing on top and a lot on the bottom.
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Scan/PrintvsScan/pages/FBvsFSfu.htm
> I don't know how many conversations I've had with my wife where she says
> she'd like to see a particular 4x6 print as an 8x10 and I say:  I'm
> sorry, I can't do that because so and so or such and such would be cut
> off at the edge of the picture.
No, no! Say "This and an 8x10 print are different shapes, how would you
like to adjust the picture to fit the different shape?" Then hand her a
stiff paper mask with a 4x5" cutout to slide around on the print to
choose her framing for the 8x10. Instead of saying "no, that can't be
done", offer her control of the process.

If she can't stand to crop the width enough, just print the full width
desired to the 10" width and leave white space at top and bottom. Seeing
the problem visually, rather than as a purely abstract mental
explanation with terms like "aspect ratio", will almost certainly make
it real and understandable to her. She is then in charge of her own
solution, with several options for trimming, matting and/or framing for
display.

Turn it from you as a problem to an opportunity for her.

Unless you are keeping her at bay for other reasons, of course.

Moose