[OM] Re: Prints

Subject: [OM] Re: Prints
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:28:59 -0400
But most point and shoot digitals have the same 3:4 aspect ratio as the
4/3 system.  Many people have a very difficult time understanding aspect
ratios.  They don't realize that when their 3:4 ratio images get blown
up to fill a 4x6" (2:3 ratio) print the long side of the image is
enlarged to 6" and the short side goes to 3/4 of that or 4-1/2".
Unfortunately, the paper is only 4" wide so 1/4" gets lopped of both top
and bottom.  Actually, any lab does a little bit of overprinting so even
the 2:3 aspect ratio images are getting slightly cropped on all sides.

I don't know how many conversations I've had with my wife where she says
she'd like to see a particular 4x6 print as an 8x10 and I say:  I'm
sorry, I can't do that because so and so or such and such would be cut
off at the edge of the picture.  This draws a blank look, I try to
explain, I finally get a knowing nod and then some long time down the
road comes another request to reprint a 4x6 as an 8x10.  The knowing nod
really means:  "I think you're nuts but I'm going to humor you."

Chuck Norcutt