[OM] Re: Point and shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Point and shoot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 03:19:30 -0700
Bill Pearce wrote:
>> I can think of one P&S which we all hail as a marvel of engineering
>> and usefullness--the Olympus XA.
>>

> What we on this list need is a digital version of that. Not possible.

F30, just not an Oly. Really.
> Do I blame the camera manufacturers? No more than I blame GM and Ford for
> gambling on making gas guzzlers while the Asian manufacturers gambled on
> more efficient cars. They gambled and lost, but the camera makers were
> better gamblers. People want a hugh LCD screen because that's how they share
> photos today, and the viewfinders were so bad anyway, people got in the
> misguided habit of holding their cameras at arms-length, so that's a buck or
> so a unit saved.
Preferences differ. I like the big screens for the clear, accurate
picture of what I'm getting. I almost never show shots to anyone else on
the screen.
> People want the super zooms for some reason (kids sports
> games?) that I don't entirely understand, so we get them.

I just got the tele "eye". I tend to notice and be attracted to small
parts of the visual world, which leads me to tele and macro. Other folks
see the world differently. What;s the problem, there are lots and lots
of 3x zooms.

I know there is a dearth of P&Ss with real WA. I think it is a technical
issue more than a lack of a market for them, but I could be wrong.
> It's all a matter of what the primary market wants.
Sure enough, but a few fine exceptions turn up now and then.

Moose