[OM] Re: Point and shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Point and shoot
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 19:11:45 -0600
Moose,

Those are great photos but the fact is you shot them with a camera that
makes nice 4x6 prints and that's it (although I think older digitals like
your actually do better work than many newer ones because the older low
megapixel models had less noise). I'm a professional artist, I have to have
more than that. I didn't even consider buying a digital camera till Nikon
came out with the D70 (I have a lot of Nikon 35mm stuff so I got the D70 so
I could use my lenses). 6mp is the bare minimum for me, and even that isn't
too useful to me since I no longer do any magazine work. When I lived in
Indiana I was a photographer for two local magazines and the D70 was fine
for the size images they needed. For my fine art, I use a Kodak 14n when I
shoot digital, although I'm using my OM equipment and my Mamiya 645 a lot
more now. I use my D70 for snapshots of my cats and my son. I know point n
shoots are convenient but I don't mind carrying the messenger bag with the
OM stuff. It's not heavy and I carry a messenger bag anyway to carry stuff I
take to and from my commercial graphics clients. I'm a perfectionist. I was
even when I was a kid...I remember when I was 12yrs old being dissapointed
that my pictures shot with the OM-G that was my first SLR didn't have the
detail I saw in the Ansel Adams stuff I saw in a book someone gave me back
then. I understand now that 35mm will never have that quality but it has its
place that larger formats can't work in. Maybe I need to adjust my thinking
like that for digital, but since the OM stuff I carry doesn't inconvenience
me I probably won't buy a digital PS for a while.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com