[OM] Use FL-50 for weddings?

Subject: [OM] Use FL-50 for weddings?
From: r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 20:14:59 -0400
I know we have had discussions about lighting on the list, but I don't recall
anything about the FL-50 flash being used for weddings. So, I am wondering if
anyone on the list has has used it for that. Is it up to the task? It is a pro
flash, isn't it? (I have it and a Vivitar 285HV for backup.)

I realize that it will require use of a supplemental power pack. The Olympus
SHV-1 runs about  $450. Is it up to the task? The Quantum power pack with cable
would run about the same from B&H. The SP-Systems power pack that Chuck
recommends would run about $200 with a Quantum cable. That seems like a good
choice. I do wish that the SP unit had a low power indicator like the Quantum,
but not $250 worth.

My plan is to use my E-500 until the E-510 comes out. I intend to use the ZD
50mm f2 and the 40-150mm f3.5-4.5 kit lenses. I think the 40-150mm lens is
worthy of more respect than the pixel peepers give it. It's fine for prints up
to 11X14. I don't plan to do any billboards. My hope is that the E-510 resolves
some of the high ISO issues. If not, I'll shoot at a high ISO and trust to a
program like Noise Ninja to clean it up. I also hope that the auto-focus is
improved. I like to use auto-focus plus manual.

I am curious as to whether I can chose a given f-stop, such as f5.6 and shoot
most longer photos with that. Would f3.5 give adequate depth-of-field for
close-ups and successfully blur the background? Or would it take f2.8 or f2?

I will appreciate any help and/or suggestions any one of you old wedding pros
might have to offer.

Robert