[OM] Re: Revenge

Subject: [OM] Re: Revenge
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 08:38:37 +1000
Always amazes me how freely the title 'professor' gets bestowed in
the US. In much of the proper-english speaking world :) it's a
serious position, head of department, not just anyone with tenure.
When I studied, the English department had something like 4,000
students, served by over fifty staff - but there were just two
professors who rotated the 'head of department' job and one associate
professor shared with another Uni. The rest were tutors, senior
tutors, lecturers, senior lecturers and and a couple of 'readers'.
I met up with a visitor from another list who was out here on a
lecture tour. He is a physician, a real doctor and a Professor of
Psychiatry and Pharmacology. I advised him to call himself
'Professor' X during his visit as that would get him a hell of a lot
more respect from hotel staff and audiences that a mere doctor of
either type.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx