[OM] Re: Decent source for batteries

Subject: [OM] Re: Decent source for batteries
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 15:52:03 +0100
Someone else certainly can resurrect the link:

http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm

Which has the following to say about this battery:
"In summary, this is one to *avoid at all costs*. Construction is poor,
charge control is poor, protection is non-existent and over-discharge
protection is questionable (failed totally on my sample)"

And the following overall conclusions:
"In summary, it is clear that price alone is NO guide to the capacity or
safety level of a particular pack. One of the cheapest (7DayShop) packs had
a perfectly good control board and quite acceptable build quality but was
let down badly by very low-capacity no-name cells. A slightly more expensive
pack (Sterling Tek) had no real protection at all, much poorer build quality
and was grossly under-performing compared to the pack markings and the
(different) advertised rating. Fortunately, it is clear that good quality
cells with adequate control and protection circuitry can be obtained far
cheaper than the Olympus original and in some cases - the UNiROSS being a
case in point - can equal and exceed it in all areas of build quality,
warranty, capacity and protection."

The tester has updated the BLM-1 results in the past month, and has also
added tests of the BLL-1 since the link was first posted to this list.

--
Piers