[OM] Re: Decent source for batteries

Subject: [OM] Re: Decent source for batteries
From: <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 11:16:22 +0000
Absolutely the wrong choice I'm afraid.  I'm not home so don't have the link
but there's a chap in the UK who dismantled 1/2 dozen  or so BLM-1 clones to
check internal/external construction, capacity claims based on cell markings
and implementation of safety circuits to prevent fire/explosion in the case of
electrical abuse.

The SterlingTek battery was the worst one examined making outlandish capacity
claims vs. the actual cell markings and, worst of all, the safety circuits were
non-operational where they existed or simply non-existent.  There was
absolutely no protection against short circuit and resulting fire/explosion.  I
emailed SterlingTek management asking them to explain these findings but they
ignored me.

This link has been pointed out on the list before.  Perhaps someone else can
resurrect it for you.  I won't be home for another 5 or 6 days.  Lithium-ion
batteries are dangerous and require built-in safety circuits to prevent short
circuit and overheating.  Since you can't see this stuff your only protection
is the reputation of the manufacturer.  Energizer and Maxell are now making
clone lithium-ion batteries which can be had for 1/2 or less the OEM price.
Don't know about the BLM-1 but you can buy an Energizer Canon BP-511 clone for
about $13 from Target.  But you have to know what you're looking for.  Target
doesn't know it fits Canon DSLR's.  They only list it with Energizer's part
number as a Canon camcorder battery equivalent... which it is.  Visit the sites
of major battery manufacturers, find their BLM-1 equivalents if they have one
and then search the web on their part numbers.

Chuck Norcutt