[OM] Re: Olympus Ace shutter problem/repair

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Ace shutter problem/repair
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 21:38:23 -0400
On 4/24/07, Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just got an Oly Ace off Eb*y. The seller has a real camera/video store
> in Toronto.  Camera is in very good cosmetic condition  and came with
> 35mm and the rarer 80/4 lens, which appear to be in equally good
> condition. However, it has two shutter blades that need attention. One
> is stuck open (can just see the tip) and the other will only move by
> hand (with a removable lens, you can get at both faces). The other 4
> blades operate fine.
>
> The seller didn't mention this fact, which is easy to see with the lens
> off. Now, it's possible that the seller had not examined the shutter
> with the lens off (the release is very small and easily missed).
> The add talked about the shutter working at all speeds, which it does
> (and seems relatively accurate), but that's all.
>
> I have read that leaf shutters can stick (and this one is exposed to the
> elements when the lens is off), but they are repairable. Anyone have any
> suggestions that might help free up the blades? Or, am I likely looking
> at getting the shutter rebuilt, if I want to take pictures?
>
> With everything else in good shape, I'm otherwise satisfied. My reaction
> is to call the seller and ask about the shutter and see what his
> reaction is. Any comments?

Martin, seems to me that your reaction is reasonable.  The seller is a
professional camera dealer and as such should be able to examine one
and determine if it's in proper working order.  Unless it was sold
with a specific "As Is" clause, s/he should be offered the opportunity
to put it right.

IMO, of course.  ;o)

ScottGee1