[OM] Re: Hoya Pro1 DMC question

Subject: [OM] Re: Hoya Pro1 DMC question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:14:52 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> And further to that, I just realised that several of the Leitz lenses
> come with hoods that take 'Series' filters, many only available from
> Leica themselves or the German makes (like my CL 40mm and 90mm lenses
> with hoods that take Series 5.5 and old 90mm R Elmarit with series 8
> holding hood). Hard to imagine them offering such implicit approval
> for something that will degrade the images!

Photography has always been about compromises based on limitations of
the technology. At the time this equipment was designed, the digital
darkroom didn't exist.

Sure all filters have some small negative effect on image resolution and
contrast, but really good ones have little effect compared to the
positive things they could do that weren't possible by any other means
at the time.

For images that originate as digital or those that will go through a
conversion to digital, it is no longer true that use of a filter is the
best solution for many purposes.

For color, I stand, for now, by my contention that only UV filtering (as
Leica found out to their sorrow) and polarizing filters for controlling
and seeing through reflections are the only applications where filters
are still needed and superior to digital processing. Anybody got
another? Please enlighten me as to those of which I am ignorant.

For B&W, filters still do things digital processing can't match. It can
do some similar things, like darkening skies and enhancing clouds, but
not the same things. Selective filtering based on color info that is no
longer there is pretty tough.
> On 21/04/2007, at 3:37 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
>
>> There are some lenses that come with 'dedicated' filters. And some of
>> the Canon big whites are reputed to have a flat, no effect front
>> element for protective purposes. In those cases, the effect of the
>> filter is built into the formulation so it should be used, like the
>> 'normal' filter in rear mount Tamron/Sigma 500mm mirrors and
>> superwides.

I knew about the mirrors and super-wides, but not about the C big
whites. Clever idea on an expensive lens, a replaceable, relatively,
compared to a new lens, inexpensive user replaceable front element. For
digital it might be even better to have a slight meniscus lens.

Moose