[OM] Re: Hoya Pro1 DMC question

Subject: [OM] Re: Hoya Pro1 DMC question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:29:50 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Nevertheless and notwithstanding - there are serious people who are
> happy to put things like $300 Schneider centre grad. filters in front
> of Hologons and X-pan 30mm's and the like. There's filters and
> filters. Generally multi-coated B+W, Heliopan and Schneider
> (virtually the same company)  UV 010 MRC in their heavy brass rings
> are a very different proposition to Whocares "the store said I needed
> it" made in Cambodia haze filters (they're not lying, they DO create
> a serious haze in your pix).

And yet.... If the image is going through a digital process, effects
like center grad may be done, at a lot less cost and with more control
and flexibility, without a filter. Circular grads are a snap in PS.

Gary claimed that even examples of those Germanic-ly perfect filters had
been found that failed the star test.

As I recently posted, all flat filters have at least some image
degrading effect as a matter of optical physics.

It is theoretically possible to design a filter for any given prime lens
that doesn't suffer from that problem, but then it's really a special
lens with zero focal length effect and no abberations. And so expensive
you would need a filter for it in dangerous conditions. :-)

Catch xx, the filter costs more than the lens.

Moose