[OM] Re: Q for Dr. Flash et al

Subject: [OM] Re: Q for Dr. Flash et al
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:42:52 -0400
Some old Vivitar 283's are rumored to have trigger voltages as high as
600 volts.  We should ask JH if he's ever seen any OM-1's with X-sync
switch contacts that show evidence of arcing like old ignition points.
:-)  <http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html>  I don't recall
the trigger voltage on my own 283 but I'm pretty sure it's over 250.
Old 285's had pretty high voltages also.  But the last 285 I measured (a
4 or 5 year old 285HV model) was only 12 volts.  Still, technically too
much for some early Canyon digitals like the D60 and 10D which could
only handle 6.  The aforementioned 12 volt 285HV was actually used on a
10D for a long time without apparent incident but I read somewhere that
it leads to long term shutter damage because of the tie between shutter
and X-sync.

ps:
A Radio Shack volt meter to check the trigger voltage is a lot cheaper
than a Wein SafeSync.  So is a radio slave or other type of slave to
isolate the flash from the camera body.  Hmmm.  I wonder if my old 283
will fry an oboy radio slave.  :-)  :-)

Dr. Flash

  Apparently