[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:13:13 -0700
> From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I was thinking Europe probably has better public transport than the
> USofA
> (and Oz too) - though I've hear that public transport isn't exactly
> cheap in
> Europe.

It's been almost 15 years, but when I lived in Switzerland, public
transport was quite reasonable.

For about $18 a month, we got a pass that let us ride any public
transportation within the greater Bern area for free. Even in 1992,
during what was perhaps the cheapest gas (indexed for inflation) of
my lifetime, $18 a month for almost all my transportation needs was
great!

One beauty of the Swiss system is its efficiency. Guess who runs
public transport? The agency that already has vehicles going
everywhere: the postal system!

You could literally get to anyplace that had mail delivery using
public transport. Want to go to Aunt Hilda's up in the mountains? No
problem, although the last part of the journey might be wedged
between a couple mail bags.

:::: Dateline: April 15, 2020: President Jenna Bush announces foreign
terrorist cells have been located near the Edmonton oil fields, and
offers "assistance" to Canada in the form of 150,000 US troops, now
massing along the border. ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, http://www.EcoReality.org ::::