[OM] Re: [OT] Iowa Chickens Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Iowa Chickens Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:28:46 -0700
> From: "Jez Cunningham" <jez.cunningham@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 4/11/07, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> There's a lot of them and they're not happy.
>> You just wait until they cross the road and storm the farmhouse -
>
> Question: Why did the chicken cross the road?
>
> Answer from Andersen Consultant:

[BIG clip]

> Andersen Consulting helped the chicken change to become more
> successful.

Talk about parasites!

I was an independent consultant for a medium-sized investment firm
once. There were twelve of us implementing a new technology at the
time (object-oriented development). Anderson had a contract for
"management consulting" in which they supplied just two people: one
at the VP level and one at the line manager level, neither of which
had any object-oriented experience. They then suggested that they
"loan" some new recruits (who were right out of college and had NO
experience) so they could gain some experience -- Anderson would foot
the bill.

Within a month, they had started a multi-level campaign to oust the
independents. Although we had been meeting deliverables, we were
ousted within four more weeks. Some time during this period, the
"loaner" Anderson people began billing at $150/hour -- double what
any of the independents had been getting.

When I went back for a visit a couple years later, the parking lot
was full of trailers -- Anderson had moved over 50 people onto the
site! It had firmly attached to the host, and the challenge for all
parasites is to siphon as much resource from the host as it can
without actually killing it.

Last I checked, this firm's "management fee" had increased from 1% to
1.5%, so it seems Anderson had found a way to skim a half percent off
that firm's investors. Pretty slick!

:::: The light at the end of the tunnel is a man with a flashlight
yelling, "Go back! Go back!" -- Sol Stein ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::