[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 13:44:11 -0600
Jan Steinman wrote:
>  From memory, I think the US produces about 3 billion gallons of
> waste vegetable oil each year, while consuming over 30 billion
> gallons of diesel fuel. So the waste stream can only satisfy about
> 10% of the total needed *at today's level of consumption.*

  That's still a lot more than I expected; though according to the
veggie van gogh FAQ page: "[...] diesel engines, which is currently less
than 3% of the US auto market"; so overall that's .3% of the market (or
something like that, depending on how much diesel is going in longhaul
trucks or suchlike)

  Still, based on how many fat dumpsters I see around, I thought it was
more like 1 in 10,000 or something, so it's definitely a worthwhile
number of vehicles if everyone possible were to be reusing waste food fat.

  Thanks for the info!

  -- dan