[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 00:48:52 -0700
I heard something on the radio that several major oil fields
including Saudi Arabia, a big one in China, Mexico have already
peaked and in decline.

One thing I never hear discussed is plastics which have literally
changed the way we live. Virtually all of them are made from
petroleum as are many of the chemicals used in our economy. You
wonder what will happen with these things if all the remaining oil is
sucked up as fuel. I suppose substitute plastics will be invented
from renewable resources. It is easy to imagine an ordinary sofa with
a synthetic fabric covering a frame and cushions padded with urethane
foam and polyester fiber batting costing more than what is now
considered a luxury sofa with silk fabric, horsehair padding and down
pillows. Alloy cameras would be a cheap alternative to luxury polymer
bodies and it is difficult to imagine a plastic free automobile or
hospital room.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA