[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 05:12:40 -0500
Jan Steinman wrote:

>> From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> In the summers, I run B20 -- 20% soy biodiesel and 80% "dino
>> diesel".
>
> In the summer, you should be able to run B100 easily -- unless you're
> FAR north of me!

Well, Minnesota's climate is quite different from B.C.'s, but I
_could_ run 100% biodiesel and, in fact, the same station that
carries the B20 I use also offers B100. But, frankly, I'm not sure I
want to.

This car should last me at least 15 (more) years (unless some
hooyock in an old Corolla with bald tires takes it out). Engine
manufacturers (n.b., not Volkswagen yet) are just _now_ coming to
support _B20_. Without knowing the pedigree of the B100 I'm using
(ASTM specs, ISO manufacture, etc., standards that, IMHO, still are
being defined), I'm reluctant to void my engine warranty and expose
myself to who-knows-what long-term problems by running it. Certainly
the equation could change -- dino diesel at US$6-7 per gallon (1.38
euros per liter) might rebalance the risk-to-benefit ratio. But, for
right now, I'll stick closer to VW's recommendation and leave the
pioneering to those willing to take the risk.

Steve