[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 20:37:24 -0700
> From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> In the summers, I run B20 -- 20% soy biodiesel and 80% "dino
> diesel".

In the summer, you should be able to run B100 easily -- unless you're
FAR north of me!

I run B100 summer, and B50 winter, although it rarely gets very much
below freezing here.

The typical "cloud point," the temperature at which wax crystals
begin to precipitate out  of soy methyl ester, is about 3C, or about
38F, but you can run it far below the cloud point if you use a block
heater or store your vehicle in a garage.

We park outside and don't normally use a block heater. The only time
I had troubles was using B100 when it was 18F! The Dodge started and
ran fine, but eventually began losing power, and then stopped. I
changed the fuel filter, put some cardboard in front of the radiator,
and quickly drove to a gas station and topped it off with petro-diesel.

:::: Jan Steinman, Communication Steward, EcoReality: http://
www.EcoReality.org ::::
:::: 160 Sharp Road, Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 2P6, Canada,
250.537.2024 ::::