[OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 23:54:21 -0400
On Tue April 3 2007 11:24 pm, Bill Pearce wrote:
> I thought mac's were supposed to be easy for the novice to use.

As far as I know it is. I don't currently use a Mac but do use a linux system.

Jan is giving a detailed explanation to Dan about handling some kind of weird
problem that may in fact have an underling hardware problem to it.

The utility they are discussing has options that range from it saying to a
program "excuse me would you please stop doing what you are doing" "bang your
dead" no discussion at all. The related way on Windows is cntl-alt-del
picking the right program and hoping you can get it to quit without
rebooting.

The various Unix type OS have a large set of utilities that are very powerful,
and tend to have a large number of options and multiple ways of doing things,
along with small but potentially very important differences between them.
That doesn't mean that you have to use them all the time, but they are there
if all else fails. Windows relies a lot on rebooting and reinstalling. Prior
to XP and I thing to some extent that also, running applications that
misbehaved would take the OS with it.

All operating systems that I've ever seen have quirks that can drive you nuts.
 This is all just basic
: