[OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 18:56:22 -0700

> From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
>
>  The problem is that the files originated on a PC, and I've been
> having
> a heck of a time getting them onto the Mac without hitting a bunch of
> problems -- all I'm doing is copying files around, but it seems
> surprisingly difficult to get things to work the way I'd expect them
> to.

I think your experience is unusual. I routinely swap files back and
forth from Windows machines using USB drives.

Is the Mac real old, and thus perhaps extra slow? A common Mac
"problem" is that they get used longer -- nearly twice as long,
according to IDC -- and the older machines are understandably a lot
slower. When you're used to something happening in 0.2 seconds (the
threshold of instantaneosity) even a few seconds can feel like
something's "broken."

Another thing to try is "safe boot." Hold the shift key immediately
after the startup tone. This will disable any third-party extensions
and crap that may have been installed. Such things rarely create real
problems, but a bunch of them can slow the system down until it seems
unresponsive.

:::: Jan (running Leopard Beta, and don't have my signatures moved
over yet) ::::