[OM] Re: [Photo] Great Blue Heron (red Shoulder Hawks too)

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] Great Blue Heron (red Shoulder Hawks too)
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 13:53:59 -0400
Scott Peden wrote:
> I would have assumed you were closer.

The image I posted was cropped more like a third of the entire frame
than 50% as I originally posted.  Plus, the heron is huge with a 6 foot
wingspan and the nest is quite large as well.  I'm not sure if this
scale is apparent in the image.

> here are the only 2 times I was able to use the 40-15 on a red shouldered
> hawk and it was a one shot deal before they took off. I usually have it in
> Auto for the first shot then start thinking about what settings to use. This
> was on the highway next to a field and that was next to an orchard. I was
> only 2 lanes away when I shot this one hand held.
> http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=390807413&size=l
>
> This one, I had just entered the gate to one of my jobs when he flew into
> the Apple tree in front of me, I was leaning out the drivers window resting
> the camera on my flimsy side view mirror, one shot and he was gone again.
> http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=378081094&size=l

Nice shots especially considering you hand held the camera and had to
shoot quickly.  The second one is my favorite.

I'm much more methodical in my process when taking images of the herons.
  I set up very close to the ground by spreading a vapor barrier and
blanket to sit on and then mount the telescope and camera to a tripod.
After observing their behavior for a while I can usually guess correctly
which direction they leave and which direction they return to the nest
and frame the image within the viewfinder accordingly.  Then I sit and
wait, sometimes for an hour or more, for them to return or leave and
then take a series of images in sequential mode.  My wife gave me an
inexpensive hunter's camouflaged tent as a gift for Christmas.
Hopefully I won't spook them as much this year as last and the waiting
period will be shorter.

Richard
--
Nature's Luminance