[OM] Re: Loving Video Now dialects

Subject: [OM] Re: Loving Video Now dialects
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 19:07:32 +0000
When I was at the University of Tennessee, Knox County was "dry," that is, no
whiskey for sale legally. But the father of one of my fraternity brothers was
the county's best-known bootlegger. The practice was so open that they actually
ran newspaper advertisements, and his father had two places with drive-up and
take-away windows in the back. The cops didn't care; they were patrons too.

Anyway, the point of all this is, he'd regularly pay a couple of us to make a
run to either Nashville, over the Cumberland Mountains, or to Asheville, over
the Smokies, to get a trunk full of booze. ($100 a run, and a dollar was worth
a lot more in 1960 than it is today.)  But the most irritating thing was
hauling ass through the mountains, which I was good at, having grown up and
driven in them since I was about 13, and coming up behind some flatlander,
usually with a Florida tag, who was scared of ups and downs and curves and just
crept along. Caused me almost to resort to gunfire a couple of times.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --