[OM] Re: [Photo] Great Blue Heron

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] Great Blue Heron
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 07:53:08 -0400
Moose wrote:
> Nice enough shot, perfect capture of the bird, but the foliage behind
> keeps it from perfection.
>
> You have spoiled us with the Takahashi shots. :-)

Moose and Darin,

Thanks for looking and for your support.  I agree about the trees and
foliage.  The stinker flew in from the left unlike last year when they
flew into the nest from the right.  If I would have guessed correctly I
could have captured the Heron in clear sky as the nest would have been
to the extreme right in the viewfinder and I could have started the
sequential shooting earlier.  I swear they're toying with me. :)

Chuck, Chris and Scott,

Thanks for looking and for your comments.  Yes Scott, it was the ZD
40-150 kit lens.  I was about 90 feet away from the dead tree and the
nest is about 30 feet up in the tree.

I spent most of my time at the site cleaning up the area of dead
branches to make a clearing for my pop-up tent.  During the process I
managed to fall through the ice up to my knee and smack my head with a
4" thick dead branch as I was tugging on a much smaller portion of it.
It was like it happened in slow motion.  I tugged on the 3 foot long, 1
inch thick section and then heard a very loud crack and had just enough
time to mutter a drawn out "oh f*ck" before this huge limb came crashing
down all around me.

Richard
--
Nature's Luminance