[OM] Re: Macro Flash?

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro Flash?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 15:39:31 -0700
Darin wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I'm going to let my inexperience show a bit here. I'd like to get a macro
> flash, but don't seem to be able to afford any of the Olympus T-series macro
> flashes. So, I'm looking for suggestions on third party offerings, either a
> ring flash or something like the T28 twins would be great, as long as it's
> TTL compatible with my OM-2S. My biggest question, since I've never owned an
> SLR that wasn't an OM and I'm not very flash literate, is about hot shoe
> mounts. Will any TTL capable flash work properly on an OM-2S hot shoe, or are
> different camera manufaturers hot shoes designed differently, requiring one
> made specificly for an Olympus hot shoe. I hope that made sense.

Unfortunately, TTL flash is different between different makers.
Independent flash makers made hot shoe flashes that worked with various
systems, from the simple Vivitar 550FD to the various Sun units that
came with interchangeable shoes and cords. I don't know if there are any
macro flashes like that.

Have you considered the inexpensive and elegant design C.H. made?
http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/flash-d.htm

Here are photos taken with it. http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/photo2.htm
and http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/photo9.htm

It is not all that difficult to make up a flash holder for two flashes,
ala T28 twin. Johan recently posted pics of his project of making one.
http://www.thufa.net/jo/misc/m_bracket.htm I seem to recall Walt may
have done one too, or maybe he has a Stroboframe Lepp. They come up on
the 'Bay every so often.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stroboframe-LEPP-11-Bracket-w-BALLHEADS_W0QQitemZ180095384357QQcategoryZ103414QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The problem then is the TTL connections. You need two flashes, T32 or
T20 with the adapter shoe for the TTL flash cable, cables and either a
TTL multi connector or a hot shoe cable to get connections to both flashes.

The whole thing gets complicated compared to C.H.'s simple T32 in the
hot shoe solution or one of the dedicated macro flashes.

Moose