[OM] Re: Superwide lenses - advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Superwide lenses - advice
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 07:11:36 -0500
On 3/30/07, Walters, Martin <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
SNIP!

> I have a OMZ 21mm, which is fun to use, but needs reasonably careful
> composition to avoid strange effects around the edges.  I've never used
> a 17 or 18mm superwide, so what does the extra 3-4mm of FL give you -
> both good and bad?  I realize this type of lens is probably a specialty
> lens and its usefulness depends on individual tastes and shooting style.
> I'd be grateful for any comments from list members, based on their
> experiences, whether lenses of this FL offer that much more than a 21mm
> (given the price of an OMZ 18mm, I would likely be looking at a Tamron).

Martin, since you already have a 21mm and have noted the effects, the
wider lenses simply give you more of the same and magnify the effects
you already see, i.e. more coverage and more distortion toward the
edges.  If you like that and want more, an extreme WA lens may be for
you.  Oh, and you have to be even more careful to keep horizontals and
verticals square -- if that's what you want to achieve.

Do note that the OM wide angle lenses are amongst the best available
so your 21mm has set the bar rather high.  The Tamrons are nice, but I
don't know that they're in quite the same class as the OMs.

my two lux worth/ScottGee1