[OM] Superwide lenses - advice

Subject: [OM] Superwide lenses - advice
From: "Walters, Martin" <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 07:54:49 -0400

It's that time of year when the CDFO wants to buy me a little something.
So, as a 70s Dino 246, an Healey 3000 etc, remain dreams, a lens comes
to mind.  This post is on topic, too, because 1) the lens would be hung
on an OM, and 2) I'm just musing and don't really need another lens (no,
really I don't).

I have a OMZ 21mm, which is fun to use, but needs reasonably careful
composition to avoid strange effects around the edges.  I've never used
a 17 or 18mm superwide, so what does the extra 3-4mm of FL give you -
both good and bad?  I realize this type of lens is probably a specialty
lens and its usefulness depends on individual tastes and shooting style.
I'd be grateful for any comments from list members, based on their
experiences, whether lenses of this FL offer that much more than a 21mm
(given the price of an OMZ 18mm, I would likely be looking at a Tamron).

Martin