[OM] It's Baaaaaaaaaaad to the bone

Subject: [OM] It's Baaaaaaaaaaad to the bone
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:57:03 -0700 (PDT)
I got my Minolta A1 back from Sony repair today.  I just got done
giving it a little workout making sure all is ok.

Well, where to start?

First of all, the magenta colorcast that has plagued the thing at any
setting other than ISO 100 is gone.  GONE I tell you!  Obviously the
total sensor failure has been rectified, but the high ISO noise is
resolved.

However...

It looks like the noise-reduction has been cranked up a little bit.
There is a touch more smearing going on than I had seen before.
Nothing outrageous, but ISO 800 is lacking some detail.

Say what?  ISO 800?  Yes!  I can actually get usable ISO 800 shots
now.  What a deal!  Of course, ISO 800 in the Minolta is more like
ISO 1200 true.  ISO 100 (ISO 160 true) is very clean.

I am still getting the diagonal pattern noise at high ISO, but
nothing like before.

Oh, it's good to have my go-anywhere camera back again and it's even
more pleasurable to see that it has been improved upon what it was
previously.

Oh, and DimageCapture?  Works great, less filling.  It'll do
nicely--very nicely for my remote-control purposes.

Sorry, I know it's OT for this list, but, this is the camera Olympus
SHOULD have built.

AG