[OM] Re: [OT] Anyone got an opinion on thie AM2 motherboard

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Anyone got an opinion on thie AM2 motherboard
From: "Bart Wientjes" <bartjew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:51:11 +0200
Hello Chuck,

Big oops, sorry for the confusion.
Here's the summary, I'll re-read it before hitting 'send'. :)

The big advantage of the 590 chipset over the 570 is that it has
better support for SLI. SLI is only interesting for gamers who want
more power than a single card can offer. If you plan on running
Photoshop, the 590 chipset has little advantages.

The 'lanes' I referred to are data paths between the CPU and the PCIe
card. If the graphics card (or any other PCIe card) communicates over
16 parallel lanes with the CPU, it has double the bandwith than when
it communicates over 8 lanes.
Practically, with the current state of technology the bandwith of 8
lanes is more than sufficient for non 3D applications.

Most graphics card nowadays are equipped with two display connectors.
Practically every card can drive two screens, you don't need multiple
graphics cards to achieve that, let alone SLI.

Hope this helps.
Bart

PS
Toms Hardware guide has reviewed the MSI board you mentioned and a
couple of its competitors:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/19/toms_socket_am2_motherboard_summer_slam/page9.html