[OM] Re: Seagulls, was A little cottage, was Re: Re: Photo

Subject: [OM] Re: Seagulls, was A little cottage, was Re: Re: Photo
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:54:53 +1100
Horrible, dark, greasy, tough meat. Gawd knows what you lubricate
with one - not a jet engine, that's for sure.
'Seagull' covers a lot of ground - English ones are normally mid-
sized Herring Gulls. Here we have small Silver Gulls and the big
Black-backed Pacific Gull which does not flock or adapt to human
presence in the same way although it is not particularly shy.
They are highly adaptable scavengers - as they naturally clean up
beach and marine carrion they are quite happy to eat what we drop.
Mix that with a bold and aggressive temperament and you have a pest.
Here 'seagull' is a nickname for that kind of person who always
materialises when you have chips and begs a few.
My father was also RN in the second major unpleasantness - drove an
LCT at Anzio and took part in the PQ convoys on the Scylla. He always
had plenty of stories but none of them about seagull fishing.
The modern equivalent would be urban rat fishing in alleys. Damn good
sport I believe.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx