[OM] Re: The "ZEN" of CAT lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: The "ZEN" of CAT lenses
From: "Darin" <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 01:19:05 -0700
FYI, there seems to be a third, even earlier, version of this lens.

It appears to be virtually identical to the 1970s to early 1980s version,
with the exception of the front filter size.

I bought this lens on ebay, it came with its original case, hood, and the
22.5mm filter holder with neutral filter in place. I wanted to get a front
cap and polarizing filter for the lens, so I ordered an 86mm snap-on cap
from the Sigma website. When the cap arrived, I was surprised to find the
cap to be just a little to large, so I called their customer service
department. They looked up my lens by the serial number, all they were able
to find was a picture of the lens w/hood, no front cap. The person I talked
to suggested it must be an earlier version, which he had never seen before,
that didn't come with a front cap.

I've since measured the threads with calipers, they appear to be 84mm or
85mm. I've also taken the lens to several camera shops, trying to find a cap
or filter that will fit, so far no luck.

Who knows, maybe I've got some uber-rare million dollar prototype or
something.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Darin