[OM] Re: The "ZEN" of CAT lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: The "ZEN" of CAT lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:36:07 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Caps are sometimes marked with 'their' actual size rather than the
> filter size - thus a push-on cap for a lens with 58mm filters may be
> marked 60mm as that is the cap's actual internal diameter. Canon did
> this. Leica uses odd sizes of course (inc. 60mm but that the red spot
> for you).
> If it's marked 86mm and it's a push-on, then the lens may take 82mm
> filters (4mm allowance for the actual diameter of the external
> barrel). If it's a clip-in, the lens may take 87mm filters (1mm
> allowance for the thread depth).

This is getting tiresome. It is a clip on cap that uses the filter
threads, not a push on.

My cheap digital caliper says the ID of the 'filter' threads is 85 mm
and the OD of the threads on the lens hood is 85.7 mm. It's 86, not 87
mm, get over it.

So it isn't designed to use standard size filters on the front. It IS
designed to use 22.5 mm filters on a little slip in holder near the rear
of the lens body. Came with 'Normal' (clear), yellow, orange, red and 4x
ND. filters.

Horse dead, pack up whip, move on.

Moose