[OM] Re: Stop grousing, start grinning

Subject: [OM] Re: Stop grousing, start grinning
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:21:24 +1030
On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 09:20:06PM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
> Actually, it's reciprocal. Getting 3db more into the receiver is
> exactly equivalent to getting 3db more out of the transmitter, in
> theory.
> Point taken that in indiscriminate receiver may pick up things you
> don't want it to with a better antenna, but in amateur radio (at
> least), anything you do to improve your antenna pays off just as much
> in reception as in transmission.

As you suggest,  receive antenna gain will likely lift (parts of) the
ambient noise floor along with the transmitted signal, and  other
unwanted signals could 'capture' the receiver's front end. It's also
possible the antenna length may affect the input tuning (or output
tuniong on the Tx side).

The other side of this is that the transmitter will likely have some
sort of FCC/SMA/ETSI/C-tick approval as built, with a nominated
effective transmitted power that takes into account all of the
variables. Modifying it my affect that approval. Watch out for the
federal plate black vans with the aerials  ;)

davidt