[OM] Re: Quantum Flash sold 150098349086

Subject: [OM] Re: Quantum Flash sold 150098349086
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:34:05 -0500
> Not to make too fine a point of it, but a Quantum pack that has not
> been used for five years will most certainly need the cells replaced
> so that cost has to be added to the purchase price.

You shuuld be able to get replacement batteries for under $50 for the lead
variety. Replacement is easy. Quantum advises that they do the work, for
something around $90, as they apparently tweak the electronics for the
specific cell, but I did just fine without the tweak.

> Assuming a healthy set of cells, Dan's deal seems like a better one
> though the cost of nail repair should be considered as well.  ;o)

Note that there's quite a bit of difference between the two. The one is the
standard T, that produces somewhere around 180ws, and that was a good deal.
The other was an X. I've no experience with one, so I don't know if the head
and flashtube are different (they must be), but the battery pack is quite
different. It is expandable, and the one mentioned was the biggest that
produces 400ws. The battery packs can be detached, and you can use it as
either 200 or 400ws. It's quite a bit nicer, if you need the extra power,
but there are more batteries to replace...

Bill Pearce