[OM] Re: OT - Question for the scanning Wizards on this list.

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Question for the scanning Wizards on this list.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 02:53:21 -0800
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I am attempting to scan a 70 year old photograph to put on an invitation to
> a 90th birthday party we are giving for the subject of the photograph.
> There
> are two problems with the photo.  It is printed on a slightly  textured paper
> and at certain angles, there is a slightly metallic look to the  darker areas
> of the image.  The scan picks up the texture.  I'm using  an Epson 3200
> scanner.  Although the scan is marginally acceptable I am  wondering if there
> is
> anything one could do about the texture.
Have you considered simply taking a picture of it in flat light? T8
comes to mind to try.

My recent experience scanning old photos is that high scanner resolution
just picks up the detail of the fibers in the paper, without bringing
out any more image detail. And if all you are using it for is to print
reduced on an invite (just did that), you don't need much resolution.

Moose