[OM] Re: Quiet, quiet, quiet

Subject: [OM] Re: Quiet, quiet, quiet
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:32:23 +1100
But are those still being produced. It's ten years after
discontinuance, no? And that's for parts, not service.
What is likely to happen is that some old-fashioned outfit like
Craftsman gets taken over and the new executive, devoted to change,
immediately order that the entire back stock of old parts be dumped
on the grounds that it isn't a requirement to keep it; it takes up
space; no-one remembers the model anyway; it doesn't earn much except
admiration; it encourages new sales.
Loyalty to the customer is a very old style of thinking and you were
the previous owner's customer anyway. Soon the factory becomes a
warehouse for imported items from China which everyone expects to
break in less than ten years anyway and cost more to repair than
replace so the parts issue vaporises - you keep a few for warranty
repairs because you are require to but normally it's cheaper to send
them another one.
iPods don't get repaired. There's a company here selling a cheap
Chinese washing machine - 3 month guarantee. It breaks under
warranty, it's replaced without question. It's also pretty much
guaranteed not to last longer than a couple of years and won't be
worth repairing.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx