[OM] Re: Ebay scam I walked into

Subject: [OM] Re: Ebay scam I walked into
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 18:47:21 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Jan

> I don't think so. They can forge the "From:" address. Much harder
> (though not impossible) is to fake the "Received:" lines in the header.

On the assumtion that Jim does know how to read email headers,
and also with the fact I received one as well, and I do know how
to read email headers (I write mailing list scripts and manage
several mail, list, DNS, and web servers), the one I received really
did come through the eboy system. Headers were not faked in the
one I received at least.

It appears that the person who cracked the eboy admin server
has been busy also listing a lot of fake autions, over 1000 are being
delisted daily, possibly more, cant really remember the figure but I
do know it was more than 1000.

> When you have an IP address, you can use your operating system's tool
> to see what domain name is assigned to it, or better yet, who
> controls that IP address. On MacOS/UNIX/Linux, you can type "whois"
> followed by the IP address, and it will give you lots of information
> about who controls that IP address -- generally including a place to
> report abuse.

And for those people without the needed command line times, you
can also use http://www.accesswhois.com and there are a lot of
other websites around, though I prefer using host/dig/whois.

Better yet, try a service such as http://spamcop.net assuming they
are still there.

Cheers
Ian Manners