[OM] Re: Ebay scam I walked into

Subject: [OM] Re: Ebay scam I walked into
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 23:07:59 -0800
> From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I got one of these the other day, but the link looked suspect so I
> passed on it, and reported it to eBay. The real tricky part of this is
> that the mail DOES come through the eBay system.

I don't think so. They can forge the "From:" address. Much harder
(though not impossible) is to fake the "Received:" lines in the header.

If there is ANY doubt ALWAYS look at the long headers, particularly
the last "Received:" header. particularly the IP address in that
header. (It's harder to fake than the domain name.)

When you have an IP address, you can use your operating system's tool
to see what domain name is assigned to it, or better yet, who
controls that IP address. On MacOS/UNIX/Linux, you can type "whois"
followed by the IP address, and it will give you lots of information
about who controls that IP address -- generally including a place to
report abuse.