[OM] Re: OT Probably controversial

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Probably controversial
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:15:41 -0400

> I don't know. It seems to me that the people who reject all the
> science about global warming also reject the science that the earth
> is more than 6000 years old.
>
> As for population, criticizing the the exact rate prediction while
> watching the number reach 6 billion really seems to be the
> controversial part.

> Winsor
> Long Beach, California, USA

Whatever you believe about the age of the earth, it is at best a faith-based
belief. Science can only deal with what is observable and repeatable, and
that will forever leave out the distant past or origins of our universe from
the realms of true science. I have studied both sides of the debate, and
written on it, for over 30 years, not that that makes me any more of an
authority about the age of the earth than anyone else. Whatever you believe
about the age of the earth is simply a matter of faith and religion, and
probably too controversial for this list.

Yes, the population of the earth is over 6 billion, which I agree is quite
impressive. I can remember when they taught me in school it was only about 3
billion. However, the predicitons of the 70's were more than a bit higher
than 6 billion. They were ridiculously wrong, and that was my point. If you
don't have standing room where you are, move. I can show you plenty of
places in the world where you can have a few hundred acres all to yourself.
Ever flown over the Amazon watershed lately? I have. How about driving
across the Canadian prairies, or even the middle US? There is some standing
room left there. Ask Ag.
Try to calculate how far off their predictions actually were, and then come
back with a reasonable mathematical answer as to their degree of error.
You'll see there was more involved than an honest error in "exact rate
prediction".

Wayne