[OM] Re: OT colonoscopy

Subject: [OM] Re: OT colonoscopy
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:32:51 -0800
> From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> We should be grateful to the
> poor for not using up the earth's resources at the same rate as the
> rest of us.

I resemble that remark! Thank you, Andrew!

I'm trying to practice "voluntary simplicity" and so moved to a
country where I am not looked down for it, and where certain minimum
levels of support are provided.

I paid thousands of dollars a year for health insurance in the US
when I didn't use hardly any of it. I'm still healthy, and willing to
have the public pay for my minimal health care now.

But I'm also a carbon sink, and outside of a penchant for a new,
business-expensed computer or camera now and then, am essentially a
non-consumer.

In the US, I'm "below the poverty line" and "not helping the
economy." In Canada, I feel appreciated for trying to live simply,
and teach others to live well within our planetary budget --
something everyone will need to learn once we start coming down off
this petroleum high we're on.

:::: Production from local resources for local needs is the most
rational way of economic life. -- EF Schumacher ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org::::