[OM] Re: OT Me, KEH, and waiting on the Leica stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Me, KEH, and waiting on the Leica stuff
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:40:40 +1100
The advantage for me in buying from B&H is that they offer a choice
of mail or evil thieving bastard (FedEx, UPS, whatever). If I receive
a mail package with a stated value of under $500, the customs don't
bother with it and I don't pay GST (VAT). I've never bought from KEH
and I wouldn't if they don't offer USPS for international.
If they send it by tracked courier service like FedEx, those swine
report it to customs, arrange for me to pay the tax that I don't need
to pay and charge me a brokerage fee for the privilege. I suspect
that they do rather well out of those brokerage fees. Of course
companies like using courier services because they don't have to do
any of the work themselves like going to the post office and the
customer can be billed for all transport expenses.
I don't buy from anyone who doesn't do mail - although for higher
value items I will choose something like UPS as it saves me
organising my own agent.
If you ever send something here (Oz), use insured mail.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx