[OM] Re: my webpage - need help

Subject: [OM] Re: my webpage - need help
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:22:17 -0500
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Care to elaborate?  Can we learn a lesson?

> Richard Lovison wrote:
>> I had an Internet sale turn into a major pain in the behind so I haven't
>> added much to the site lately.  Maybe in the future I'll get motivated
>> again and put up more images.

Chuck,

I made one mistake after the next.  First off I was asked if I would be
willing to make a poster size print of one of the images on my website.
  I agreed to try (mistake #1) even though my gut said no as now I would
have to trust my printing to an outside source since I didn't have the
ability to print a 24 by something at home.  I would never have
attempted this for someone I didn't know.  The person who asked was
someone I knew for years as we communicated back and forth many times
via email when we were both involved in beta testing a piece of
software.  Thus I treated her as if she was family.  Mistake #2.

I tried two printing outfits that had 24" inkjet printers.  The first
one produced a print I couldn't use (I'll spare you the details as to
why) which cost me $27.  The second one produced a print I was happy
with and that cost an additional $32.  Since I decided to treat my
customer as "family" I only charged her $50 including shipping (I
charged 50% over my cost to produce the print) and told her not to send
payment unless she was happy otherwise return the print.  Mistake #3.

I sent the print rolled up between a large sheet of paper encased in a
large round tube and insured it.  She received it and "mentioned" there
was a small crease in the print yet the tube was not damaged in
shipping.  She seemed to want to keep it though there was this "crease"
that later turned into 3 creases.  It went downhill from there until I
finally forced her to play her cards... keep it or return the darn
thing.  After deciding to keep it she agreed to send a personal check.
I waited over a week for this check that never arrived.  I wrote her to
explain that I never received the check and asked if she could pay via
PayP*l since she mentioned in the beginning she was willing to do so.
She agreed to this after "checking with her bank to make sure I hadn't
received the check and cashed it" and asked for me to return it if I
ever got it.  I never received it though I did get the PayP*l payment.

Too much of my time was spent on this project that ended up costing me
money.  On the positive side I was able to see what an E-1 RAW file
converted to Tiff looked like blown up to 15x20... not bad. :)

Richard L