[OM] Re: New Person to the group

Subject: [OM] Re: New Person to the group
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:50:46 -0500
Scott Peden wrote:
> So, I am trying to find out how my Tokina stacks up against other 80-200
> lens's. Misha had nothing to gain and everything to lose by telling me it
> was a good lens, since I already had it.

Maybe so but, IMHO, the following advice is balderdash.

"And I have heard that Tokina may be a good lens, but like the Phoenix,
their Fish eye's are suppose to be good, stay away from the rest of
their stuff (my brick and mortar store told me that)."

> I have no idea where he got his data and would like to find out what it was
> he used to look it up while we were on the phone.

Call him back and ask him.

I did a quick search for test data myself and didn't find anything.  But
  I did locate this list of lenses sold through the 60's-80's and see
that the EMZ line was priced lower than the AT-X line.
<http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~loui/lenses>
AT-X has long been (and still is) Tokina's top designation for their
highest build quality and fastest lenses.  Your EMZ however, while
cheaper than the AT-X lens of the period, is only f/4 vs the AT-X's
f/2.8.  My inference is that the EMZ line is only cheaper by virtue of
being a slower lens, not that it's necessarily of lesser optical quality
than the AT-X.  Constant f/4 with macro feature in 1983 was still a
cat's meow lens.

I wouldn't fret over it.  Unless you make 16x20's from two different
lenses mounted on heavy tripods in a side-by-side shoot out I doubt that
you'll ever see any difference between your EMZ and any competing lens.

Chuck Norcutt