[OM] Re: Oh, the shame of it

Subject: [OM] Re: Oh, the shame of it
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:17:29 -0700
  Well, weirdly, now it seems to be working again. I have no idea why or
what I did, but the problem has gone away.

> Now, does this happen on any other auto Zuiko lens you have?
>
> If so, I'd check the contacts and clean them on the camera, if this is the
> only lens, I'd look at the contacts on the lens and clean them.

  I tried that -- the 14-54/11-22 both worked fine on both bodies
(e-1/e-330), and the 50-200 had these problems on both bodies.

  I'd cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser, because it's soft
enough that it won't wear anything away, and no joy; I thought it might
be bunged up somehow so the motors couldn't quite be driven the right
way, but new batteries didn't help there either.

  Possibly it was just damp or something, I dunno -- I also enabled
"reset lens" on the bodies, which might have forced it through its full
range of motion enough to clear out the bit of dust or something that
was in there. I really have no idea, but it's better now.

  Oh, and:

 >I believe my phone call had to be transfered but once they connected
 >me to people familiar with E-System gear everything went very smooth.

  They tried that -- the first person I spoke to didn't know what
'zuiko' was, and gave me a phone number for the "e-1 hotline" (pecuilar,
as I'd already navigated a bunch of voice menus to get to people who
theoretically can help with e-series cameras) -- when I rang that
number, a nice lady called Chantal answered, who was very pleasant but
has nothing to do with Olympus..

  The second person didn't know what "zuiko" meant either, but at least
seemed able to search for "50-200". I wonder if these people actually
work for Olympus, on reflection -- if they're just a call center
somewhere, it would make more sense that they know nothing about the
service they're trying to provide, and just have a bunch of scripts to
follow.

  -- dan