[OM] Oh, the shame of it

Subject: [OM] Oh, the shame of it
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 20:58:19 -0700
  My ZD 50-200 is having trouble autofocussing [1], so I poked around on
Olympus's web site to find repair info. They have a phone number to call
to get a quote, so after some menus, I got through to someone:

  Me: "I'm calling to get a quote for repairing a lens"
Him: "Okay, what lens is it you need repairing?"
  Me: "It's a Zuiko Digital 50-200"
Him: "Um... just a second" [pause] "Can you spell that first word, please?"
  Me: "Z U I K O"
Him: "Hmmm. I don't know what that is, I'm going to have to go and look
it up".

  In the end, it took me three tries to find someone who could even look
things up, but I was pretty awestruck that Olympus employees now don't
even recognise "zuiko" as anything they might recognise. Possibly I
mispronounced it, but once they had it spelled..?

  Cost of repair they quoted was $306. Eek! The problem is I don't think
it's something that I can just hand off to a local repair place to fix,
because there could well be heaven only knows what electronic problem in
there, at which point presumably it involves (possibly) ordering in
chips or something, and as Olympus has a repair location in Canada I
don't have to worry about customs issues.

  -- dan

[1] Two problems: firstly, if it's not roughly in focus, it won't
autofocus at all -- S-AF+MF works as long as I manually focus it to a
recognisable image, then let AF do the rest, but if I'm manually
focussing I may as well use a manual lens and save the weight and battery..

  Secondly, while sometimes it'll seek all the way in to the closest
extreme, it then gets stuck there and doesn't know it needs to go back
to infinity to find the correct distance.

  I've reset the camera, checked firmware, replaced batteries (even with
an SHLD mounted), always the same thing.