[OM] Re: New Person to the group

Subject: [OM] Re: New Person to the group
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 22:39:08 -0800
Scott Peden wrote:
> I have a 500 mm F8 Seimar

So far off name brand that I've never heard of it.
> Long and light, I've had it apart several times, greasy stuff or loads of
> dust inside, I can't get to one lens surface on the inside and the larger
> front one, I am assuming I only needed the middle of the lens to be in great
> shape (using a E-500) and each cleaning seems to improve it, it was way to
> blurry the first time and the oily shit on the inside of the front lens was
> exceptionally visible.
> $41 after shipping, so I am keeping my beefs about it down.
>
> But.... I can't find any references about it anywhere.
Nor will you.
> The fella that sold it to me
...is a great salesman.
> told me it was a great lens and I knew he was lying the minute I
> saw grease and dust on the inside....... but it hasn't been as ad as my
> first impression was.

It's probably the same thing as the ones Jeff refers to. Cleaned up, it
may be pretty decent.
> So I have been watching all the other 500 mm F8 lens's to see if one of them
> looks like mine.

Something like this
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Tele-Astranar-500mm-f8-Universal-mount-lens_W0QQitemZ250086370790QQihZ015QQcategoryZ707QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250086370790>?

Or this
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Quantaray-500mm-Lens_W0QQitemZ170081647712QQihZ007QQcategoryZ707QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170081647712>?

Looks like the same thing is still being sold new under at least the
Opteka and Phoenix brand names
> Are there any suggestions on how to get a cleaning lens cloth into the small
> end of the inside of this?

You probably need to do further disassembly. Lenses, esp. old, simple
ones, are generally assembled using rings that screw in and out using
spanner wrenches like these
<http://www.micro-tools.com/store/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=SPN>.
One may sometimes get by with needle nose pliers, snap ring tools with
modified tips, etc.

Moose