[OM] E's and mirror lens, was Re: New Person to the group

Subject: [OM] E's and mirror lens, was Re: New Person to the group
From: "Ian B Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:58:35 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Allen

> So you used a  Oly 500mm lense? I've been thinking about this quite a bit.
> And I have to admit, I'm pulled between a mirror lens and a standard long
> fixed lens. Part of it is to do some astrophotography.

Yes, Zuiko 500mm F8 Mirror, also tried a Vivita 500mm F8 mirror that I got
before I found the Zuiko, not much difference that I can tell.

http://www.comkal.net/500mm/test001.jpg Vivita 500mm
http://www.comkal.net/500mm/test002.jpg Vivita 500mm
http://www.comkal.net/500mm/test003.jpg Zuiko 500mm
http://www.comkal.net/500mm/test004.jpg Zuiko 500mm

Note that test001.jpg is plastic, they all look like they have
a soft filter one, not what I would normally look for in a
500 :-)

When used with on OM, focus is a lot better (ie, screen), all
the above shots I just took with 12 second timer on the E500,
sitting on a block of wood, a lot of time taken to focus, also focused
either side of objects but even worse, so used these shots which
have sliding depth subjects. Notice also how pronounced the
standard mirror lens circles are in test004.jpg

Compare those shots to this one :-

http://www.comkal.net/photo/Flowers/slides/062.html

Taken with an OM4 and the Vivitar 500mm F8 mirror lens on
10th Feb 2007.

and the Zuiko 600mm f6.5 on the E500 on the 10th Feb 2007

http://www.comkal.net/photo/Flowers/slides/P2100061.html

I cant see any reason for this but obviously there is one :-)
or is that :-(

Results may be different on different model E's and as I only
have an E500, these are my results.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/