[OM] Re: Firmware for Canon Printer

Subject: [OM] Re: Firmware for Canon Printer
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:27:13 -0800
Allen Coltrin wrote:
> Hey Scott, of course I have a question. I have an HP 7960W for regular
> printing and a Olympus P-440 photo printer. But I was reading about an Epson
> Stylus R1800 for larger 13x19 printing. Looked cool.
>
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/epson_r1800.html

I find the printer reviews at photo-i far more informative and useful
than any others I've seen
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers_page.htm>.

Steve's focus on speed in just wrong headed for me. Not that I want
slow, just that I want quality before speed. If your interest is more in
that direction, Vincent's reviews at photo-i put much more emphasis on
image quality. And he has done almost all the current printers of
interest to the serious amateur or pro making good sized prints.

You can set up two browser windows side by side and directly compare
scans of prints of the same digital files on various printers. Not as
good as actual samples, but way better than anything else out there. It
sure makes me feel less like I'm flying blind than before. It was these
reviews that allowed me to see, for example, that although the HP B9180
is clearly much more suitable to heavy duty use than the Epson R1800,
that the output difference is negligible.

So for my intended light duty use, I bought an R1800 refurb for much
less than the new HP would have cost. Unfortunately, I can't really give
much of a report on it yet. It arrived in the middle of my mom's health
crises and eventual death, so I've done very little with it so far. I do
intend to reprint a few images I've printed on the 1270 dye ink printer
to see how big the difference in vibrance may be, but haven't done that
yet.

The few images I have printed so far look quite good, but I expected
that. I really want to be able to do archival fine art prints for
framing and display. It has bugged me for a while that I can spend a lot
of time and effort on a print from the 1270, only to know that it will
have limited life compared to printers available now. Of course, they
weren't available when I bought the 1270, and it has done a great job to
date. I'll still be using it for some stuff for now, if only 'cause I've
got ink and paper that won't work in the R1800 on hand. It's still good
for many uses.
Moose