[OM] Re: Firmware for Canon Printer

Subject: [OM] Re: Firmware for Canon Printer
From: "Allen Coltrin" <hjlantern@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:21:47 -0800
Hey Moose, I like that printer site. I'm not all that interested in the
overall speed to print black and white memos, etc. I had an HP 725 for years
and when it finally gave up the ghost I got my current HP and gave my old
one to a guy we know that would love to get into it and make it work right.
He's developemently challenged. And it made him happy to have it. So it was
a good thing.

I got my P-440 about 3 years ago and never hooked it up untill 2 weeks ago.
I know I shouldn't go so quickly. Maybe hold back a bit to think things
through better, lol.

So a question please. If I'm looking for a great 500mm+ mirror telephoto
lense what would you guys recommend and why. I'm pulled to the Oly, Tamron,
or Tokina. I bough to the weighty experience and judgement of this esteemed
body.

Allen

>From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: Firmware for Canon Printer
>Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:27:13 -0800
>
>Allen Coltrin wrote:
> > Hey Scott, of course I have a question. I have an HP 7960W for regular
> > printing and a Olympus P-440 photo printer. But I was reading about an
>Epson
> > Stylus R1800 for larger 13x19 printing. Looked cool.
> >
> > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/epson_r1800.html
> >
>I find the printer reviews at photo-i far more informative and useful
>than any others I've seen
><http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers_page.htm>.
>
>Steve's focus on speed in just wrong headed for me. Not that I want
>slow, just that I want quality before speed. If your interest is more in
>that direction, Vincent's reviews at photo-i put much more emphasis on
>image quality. And he has done almost all the current printers of
>interest to the serious amateur or pro making good sized prints.
>
>You can set up two browser windows side by side and directly compare
>scans of prints of the same digital files on various printers. Not as
>good as actual samples, but way better than anything else out there. It
>sure makes me feel less like I'm flying blind than before. It was these
>reviews that allowed me to see, for example, that although the HP B9180
>is clearly much more suitable to heavy duty use than the Epson R1800,
>that the output difference is negligible.
>
>So for my intended light duty use, I bought an R1800 refurb for much
>less than the new HP would have cost. Unfortunately, I can't really give
>much of a report on it yet. It arrived in the middle of my mom's health
>crises and eventual death, so I've done very little with it so far. I do
>intend to reprint a few images I've printed on the 1270 dye ink printer
>to see how big the difference in vibrance may be, but haven't done that
>yet.
>
>The few images I have printed so far look quite good, but I expected
>that. I really want to be able to do archival fine art prints for
>framing and display. It has bugged me for a while that I can spend a lot
>of time and effort on a print from the 1270, only to know that it will
>have limited life compared to printers available now. Of course, they
>weren't available when I bought the 1270, and it has done a great job to
>date. I'll still be using it for some stuff for now, if only 'cause I've
>got ink and paper that won't work in the R1800 on hand. It's still good
>for many uses.
>Moose

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Find what you need at prices you?ll love. Compare products and save at MSN®
Shopping.
http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24102&tcode=T001MSN20A0701