[OM] Re: Bob Gries WAS Re: Previous Fun Times on this List

Subject: [OM] Re: Bob Gries WAS Re: Previous Fun Times on this List
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 01:51:56 -0800
Scott Peden wrote:
> I drove all of Highway 1 from Canada to Mexico in 1970-71 except  from
> Carmel by the sea to Morro Bay,  though I've been that way by sea several
> times. One of these days I'm going to have to make it a week and take that
> nice and slow.

Wow, you skipped one of the best parts! Wait until the wildflowers start
to pop, although that makes the drive harder - astonishing land/sea
scapes on one side and gorgeous wildflowers on the other.

Time it to stop at Nepenthe for lunch and shopping. Great food,
spectacular views, fun shop, whether you buy anything or not. The Buddha
on my back deck came from there. I assume you have visited Pt. Lobos? If
not, that is worth several hours by itself. Esalen is beautiful, but
reservations only, unless you know the back ways in.

Julia Pfeiffer St. Park has beautiful trails, including one down to the
postcard falls. Hearst Castle is a great place to visit, but you need
reservations. Lots of places to stay there, but the Cavalier Inn, if it
hasn't changed names, has the only rooms right on the water. Flew a kite
in the rain right outside. Morro Bay is a cute little place. I can't
remember where I've stayed there, so they must not have been memorable,
good or bad.

Moose